Saturday, July 25, 2009

2009 Road to My Calling

My name is Cathy Mendonca and I volunteer as an English tutor and family mentor with the International Rescue Committee in San Diego, am a crazy art teacher with A Reason to Survive, and if that isn't enough I'm a Peer Educator through a company called South Bay Community Services.

Through the International Rescue Committee (I.R.C), I had the honor of working with a courageous yet serene Ugandan mother of four. Overcoming formidable disaster with only faith blessing her with the endurance to survive, she relocated to the United States for a chance at a better life for both her and her family. As her tutor, I am blessed having the opportunity help her in any way i possibly can. I view her, as a survivor, and the journey which she will travel beginning her new life here in the United States, will be behind her every step of the way. I first had an interest in mentoring while training to become a S.A.R.T Advocate with at the Center for Community Solutions. There, Sexual Assault Response Team Advocate Volunteers work as an interdisciplinary team with emergency room staff, Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners (SANE) and police officers to respond to survivors in the hospital or at designated S.A.R.T forensic labs. The volunteer's role includes providing crisis intervention to the survivor and to any non-offending family member(s) about sexual assault, counseling during evidence collection and providing information about social, health and legal resources.

With South Bay's WIA (Workforce Investment Act) EXCEL Program, job readiness classes are offered to clients so they are prepared to face the job market. I am honored to have played the part in improving the lives of youth by inspiring them to desire meaningful employment and preparing for the career they can accomplish.
From a refugee's faith to a foster youth's dream to a woman's ability to heal, I am very passionate about what I do and why I help. Life is all about go forward after tragedy for that's the only time we will find how strong we really are. We must recognize the value in helping one another for one's tragedy affects all and the road to resilience starts with believing that you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment